A rent increase is came into effect as of April 2020...

Here you'll find the latest updates and information about the increase and what this could mean to you. 

  • How much is the increase?

    Rent payments increased by 2.7% in April 2020. If you pay service charges, these would have changed in line with the cost of providing the services where you live.

    We wrote to all customers in February 2020 to confirm how much their new rent and service charge payments are for the year.

    There were further implications for digital tenants, click on the next tab to find out more.

  • I am a digital tenant. What does this mean to me?

    Customers on digital tenancies must maintain four weeks credit at all times. Where your rent increased, we would have arranged a one-off payment in April 2020 to keep your account in four weeks credit of the new rent amount. The additional amount would have depended on the amount of your rent increase – for the average Thrive property, this one-off amount would have been between £10 - £22.

    From May 2020 onward, your basic direct debit instalments will be for new rent only. 

  • I claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. Is there anything I need to do?

    Housing benefit: we will tell your Local Authority what your new rent and service charge payments will be so they can re-assess your claim

    Universal Credit: You will need to inform Universal Credit of the new rent amount after 6th April 2020. Universal Credit cannot accept this information in advance.

    If you think you may have difficulty in paying your rent at any time, you can visit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ for financial advice or Thrive can refer you.

  • Why was there a rent increase?

    In 2016, the government announced that social landlords must decrease the amount of rent they charge by 1% per year over four years which affected most Thrive tenants. This has now come to an end. 

    In September 2018, government issued a statement allowing registered providers of social housing to increase their rents by up to the Consumer Price Index figure (CPI) plus up to an additional 1% each year, for a period of five years. You can find out more here.

    The CPI for September 2019 is 1.7%, and Thrive is applying an additional 1%. This sets the overall increase to 2.7%. 

    As a not-for-profit business, the increased rental income will be reinvested back into maintaining and improving existing housing stock and developing more affordable homes.

    You can find out more about how we spend your rent money in our Annual Report for Tenants 2018-19.

    Find out more.

  • How will Thrive spend the additional rent income?

    As a not-for-profit business, the increased rental income will be reinvested back into maintaining and improving existing housing stock and developing more affordable homes.

    You can find out more about how we spend your rent money in our Annual Report for Tenants 2018-19.

    Find out more.

  • Did the cost of my service charge change too?

    Service charges change annually if the cost of providing them for your home changes. We informed customers of any changes to the amount due for service charges in February 2020. 

  • What if I have difficulty paying my rent?

    If you think you may have difficulty in paying your rent at any time, you can visit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ for financial advice or Thrive can refer you.

    You may be entitled to benefits. Check here: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

  • I have a question, how can I get in touch?

    The best way to get in touch is by: