What you need to know

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You ask, we answer!

We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions received from our leaseholders and shared owners. If you have further questions that aren’t covered below, please contact us.

  • It says that I am responsible for the repairs and maintenance of all fixtures and fittings within my home. What is included within this?

    There are no set definitions for what constitutes a fixture or a fitting, but generally, a fixture is understood to be any item that is bolted to the floor or walls, and a fitting to be any item that is free-standing or hung by a nail or hook.

  • Can I make alterations to my home?

    As a homeowner, you may wish to carry out your own alterations and improvements. In accordance with the terms of your lease, you are required to obtain written permission from Thrive first. You can find out more and submit a request via the myThrive Hub.

    If you carry out works without consent you may be asked to put alterations back to original condition at your own cost. You may also require other consents such as Building Control and Planning from your Local Authority which you will need to investigate.

    To apply for permission to make alterations, please submit your application form and copies of supporting documents (which may include plans, drawings or diagrams, surveys, structural reports, building control information) that help to explain what you want to do. We will then be able to assess the request within the terms of your lease and advise you of the requirements. We will not refuse permission to carry out reasonable alterations unless we have a good reason. Costs for permissions may include administration fees, red line plans, valuation and any legal fees if necessary (both your own and Thrive’s). A Licence for Alterations may need to be drawn up by solicitors and you will need to budget for the costs associated with this.

  • Can I install laminate or other wood flooring in my property?

    When choosing to live in a block of flats, everyone has a part to play in being considerate of noise transference to neighbours within the building.

    We require hard flooring to be laid to a professional standard with the appropriate soundproofing and acoustic underlay. If you live in a block and complaints are received regarding unacceptable noise nuisance due to the type of flooring, you will be asked to remove it at your own cost.

  • Can I use storage space, cupboards and lofts that are accessible from communal areas?

    We understand that some properties have limited storage options however, we cannot allow any residents to store personal items or refuse in the communal areas or cupboards.

    We consider the safety of our customers our highest priority and items in the common parts can become fuel for fires or even hinder or prohibit the means of escape in an emergency. 

    If items are found in the communal areas, Thrive Homes will serve a notice under the Torts Notice on the item giving 48 hours’ notice before it is removed. We will store the item for a set amount of time before disposing of it permanently. If there is a charge associated with the storage you will need to pay for this before the item can be returned to you. Further details can be found in our Communal Area Standards.

  • Who is responsible for fire doors in flats?

    Your lease outlines who is responsible for the front entrance door (FED) of your property, but you can ask us if you are not sure.

    In order to comply with the Fire Regulatory order 2005, any door that opens to the communal hallway must be a FD30S fire resisting door to provide 30 minutes of integrity from fire and capable of limiting the passage of smoke. In light of fire safety movements industry wide, Thrive will inspect all doors leading to communal areas. We will contact you if our inspection shows that your door is not compliant. If your door is deemed to be unfit, we will advise you so that you can arrange to have this replaced or upgraded as necessary.

  • Am I responsible for servicing my gas appliances?

    Gas safety is vital in making sure you and your loved ones stay safe. In our commitment to maintaining the safety of our customers, we regularly service communal gas appliances and appliances heating our tenanted properties.

    In line with your lease we ask that you provide us with a copy of your Gas Safety Certificate to show us that you are equally compliant and committed to the safety of your neighbours.

    If you are subletting, you must conform with the Landlord’s duties. This means that you are legally responsible for maintaining your pipework and appliances and providing your tenant with the current LGSR that has been carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

  • Who is responsible for arranging the building insurance?

    Where Thrive is the freeholder, we are responsible for arranging for the Building Insurance. The policy covers communal elements of the building like the structure, exterior, the services and installations of the block, and generally immovable components. The Lease will outline who is responsible for arranging this and you will pay your proportion of this through your service charges. We send out the full details of the Building Insurer annually so that you have this to hand if required.

    If you are impacted by an event and your personal belongings are damaged such as furniture, carpets, or clothing then you would need to make a claim for these under your own Contents Insurance regardless of the cause of the damage. Your personal contents are not covered by the Building Insurance.

  • Who is responsible for arranging contents insurance?

    As your contents are not covered by any insurance arranged by Thrive, it is extremely important that you have the contents of your home comprehensively insured. This should be including but not limited to burglaries, fire or accident, and damage caused by another resident from their property such as a leak.

  • There is a leak coming through from another property, what should I do?

    If you are experiencing a leak from a neighbour’s property you should in the first instance contact that resident and resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

    If you are unable to contact your neighbour, please contact Thrive Homes and we will help you gain access. If the property is occupied by a Thrive tenant, we will arrange for a repair to be carried out. If the leak is coming from a property occupied by a homeowner, then we will contact them to advise them to remedy the leak asap.

    If any damage is caused to your property, you can contact our insurers to see if you may be eligible for a claim through the building’s insurance. Please note, this will not cover any damage to your personal contents and we recommend you arrange your own contents insurance.

    If there is a leak coming from your property, we will contact you to advise you of this so that you can get this repaired immediately. In the instance that we are not able to reach you on the contact details that you have given us, we will serve a notice of entry to your property. If the issue is causing excessive damage or is deemed an emergency, we will arrange for access in accordance with the notice. We always ask that you give us the contact details of an alternative person who would be able to reach you in case of this situation.

    Note: It is essential that you know where your property’s stop cock is to turn the main water supply off in an emergency. You should also know where your electrical mains are so that you can also turn these off swiftly.

  • Why would Thrive need access to my home?

    There are times when Thrive will need access to your home in order to carry out our responsibilities. For example, we may need to inspect your property, gain access to a loft area inside your flat or where there is an emergency.

    We will always endeavour to give as much notice as possible depending on the situation at hand. It is your responsibility to allow us reasonable access upon request and we ask that you work with us to ensure this is as easy as possible for all parties.

  • Access to loft spaces in flats

    If we require access to the loft and the entrance is via your flat, we will contact you to request access. We will work with you to give reasonable notice for you to give us entry.

    If an engineer requires access to the loft space to service your property and the only access point is through the communal area, you can arrange an appointment with our contact centre. Please note; there is an administration fee for Thrive to attend these appointments.

  • I am having problems with my neighbours being noisy and making me feel uncomfortable in my home. What should I do?

    Everyone is entitled to live at peace in their home.

    Tackling antisocial behaviour (ASB), and the harm it can cause is a priority for us. We are committed to working with you to manage and minimise ASB where we can.

    Please refer to our advice on managing ASB for suggestions on steps you can take and how to get help.

  • Rubbish and Fly-Tipping

    It is important to dispose of your rubbish properly and you can contact your Local Authority for further details on how this works in your area.

    Fly-tipping is deliberate dumping of rubbish in unauthorised places – including outside your front door or beside the bins – and is not allowed. The cost of removing fly-tipped rubbish is recharged through the service charges. We will act against anyone reported to us for fly-tipping. We invite reports from all residents so that we can ensure the person responsible for this pays the bill wherever possible.

  • What do I do about pests, vermin and infestations?

    Issues such as ants, wasps, mice or squirrels can be a problem that most households have to deal with from time to time. If you have a pest problem in your home, then you should contact your Local Authority who will put you in touch with a pest control expert you can employ.

    If the issue is in a communal area, please report the repair to us immediately so that we can take the necessary action.

Further reading