We'll work with you to make sure your door works as it should to protect you and your building.
Select from the options below to learn more.
Fire doors are different to normal doors because they have features that will withstand heat and fire for at least 30 minutes.
They work by slowing the spread to allow enough time for the fire to be brought under control. But they can only do this when in good condition and kept shut!
Smoke kills more people than the fire itself. A working fire door will also stop smoke entering your home or into the communal area, which could put you and others at risk.
- Check your fire door has at least 3 hinges and all screws are in place and not missing
- There should be no gaps around the top and sides of the door more than 4mm when the door is closed (you can check this by using a £1 coin for scale, this is 3mm thick)
- Your door closer should be fully attached
- The door should have intumescent (brush like) seals around the door or frame - these should be free from damage
- If your fire door has a letterbox, make sure it has a cover on the inside and outside. It should be secure and in place.
How often do we check your fire door?
Our skilled colleagues will pop by to check over all communal fire doors every six months. If your building is over five storeys, this will be every three months.
We may also take a look over your flat entrance fire door from time to time as part of the buildings fire risk assessment. If your building is more than five storeys, we’ll do this once a year.
It's a legal requirement to make sure these doors are in working order.
If we need access to your home for routine inspections, upgrades and replacements, we'll always try our best to find a time that suits you. All we ask is that you let us know if you need to rearrange.
It's a legal requirement to make sure these doors are in working order. If we can't get in, we may have no choice but to take further action under the terms of your tenancy.
Have a question about your fire door?
Contact your Building Safety Team at thrivehomes.org.uk/safety-team
Upgrades and repairs
We'll arrange one of our competent and trusted engineers to repair or replace any communal doors as required.
If your flat entrance door needs a repair or replacement, one our surveyors will assess the works needed.
If you're a tenant, we'll arrange the repair. If you are a homeowner, you may need to arrange these works yourself and we'll let you know if this is the case.