Homes for Ukraine


The Government has launched the Homes for Ukraine scheme to enable people living in the UK to host Ukrainian individuals or families for six months. 

In return of hosting a Ukrainian individual or family, the Government has agreed a thank you payment of £350 per month.  

Thrive Homes would like to support this cause and enable tenants to take part should they wish to open their homes for Ukrainian refugees. 

It is a big commitment, so you it is important you are fully aware of the support that you will be required to provide as a host. 

The full details of the scheme are still unfolding, however please see below some frequently asked questions to help you decide whether you would like to take part.  

More information can be found on the Government’s website by clicking here. 

  • Can I host a Ukrainian individual or family in my Thrive home?

    Yes, providing you have adequate space to host a family and you are not looking to move within the 6-month sponsorship period.  
    If you’re a tenant, you’ll need to ask for our permission first and provide us with details of your intentions so we can update your records.  
    To request permission, please email or contact us in your usual way. 

  • When would Thrive refuse for me to host someone through the scheme?

    Permission would ordinarily be granted provided you have adequate room and are not looking to move in the next 6 months. We may also refuse a request if you are under any breach of your tenancy or there are other factors that may put you or the refugee(s) at risk.

  • Does my lease allow for this scheme?

    The terms of your lease need to be followed and it may have rules you have to follow when taking someone into your home.  Thrive will agree to waive the administration fee chargeable where the lease requires you to seek formal consent for taking someone into your home in order to facilitate this process. 

  • How can I check the terms of my lease?

    To check the terms of your lease, please email or contact us in your usual way.  

    You can also get free advice from the Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE). Further information can be provided through the website, via a telephone appointment with one of LEASE’s advisers (020 7832 2500) or by email 

  • Can I charge rent for a Ukrainian individual or family to stay with me?

    People coming to the UK under the scheme are not able to access housing benefits currently, which means hosts will not be able to charge rent. However, refugees will be able to apply for other benefits and to seek and take up employment. 

  • Will I be paid for hosting a Ukrainian individual or family?

    You will be offered a monthly ‘thank you’ payment of £350 to assist with any increased costs from the Government. 

  • Will my benefits be impacted by the Government’s £350 a month thank you payment?

    The government has confirmed that this payment will not be treated as income for the purposes of benefit entitlements. You can stay updated with any changes to this advice on the Government’s website.

  • What is required of me as a host?

    The Government has put together lots of guidance about what is required as a host and we encourage you to read up on this before applying by clicking here.

  • Can I host a family that also has a pet?

    Please check with us first. Permission will usually be granted providing pets are allowed in your building and they have been screened by the Animal & Plant Health Agency as per government advice. 

  • What if I want to end the sponsorship early or it breaks down?

    If for any reason you need to end the sponsorship arrangement early, you should inform the local council as soon as possible. 
    Please also let us know, so we can update your records accordingly. 

  • Do I need to advise my contents insurance provider?

    Yes. Some insurers require you to notify them of anyone you are intending to have stay in your home so it is best to let them know if you are planning to host a family to make sure your policy still covers your items.  

  • Can I put a sofa bed in my sitting room?

    Hosts are required to be able to at least offer an empty room to ensure the safety and privacy of guests. A bed in a shared space would not be appropriate accommodation for six months. 

    It is also not suitable for those willing to sleep in a living room or other shared space in the home so that the individual or family could have their own bedroom. 

  • How do I offer my spare rooms?

    Phase 1 of the scheme opened on the 18th of March 2022 for anyone to register their interest and provide the names of a Ukrainian and their immediate family that you wish to house. You are still able to register your interest without knowing a family, and those applications will be looked at in later phases.  

    Find out more. 

  • Will I be able to move to a larger property in order to host a Ukrainian family?

    The Government requires you to be in a position to host the family in the accommodation you currently live in at the point of application. 

  • Will Thrive adapt my home to be able to host an individual with needs?

    The Government will only approve your request if your circumstances meet the needs of the family you are requesting to host at the point of application. 

  • Do I need to register details of the individual or family that I am hosting with Thrive?

    Yes, please tell us who is living in your home and if they have any needs.  

    It’s important we know if anyone in your home has a disability or mobility issue that could prevent them evacuating in the event of an emergency. We can use this information to notify the local fire service of your circumstances which will allow them to put in place a fast and appropriate evacuation plan to get you to safety. The easiest way to let us know is by emailing or 0800 917 6077. 

  • Is there any safeguarding support available?

    The Government will provide information about support available to hosts and you can find out more by clicking here. 

    We may ask how hosting is going at your Home Plan visit where we can provide further information and guidance if required. 

  • What happens if the individual or family causes anti-social behaviour issues?

    If for any reason you are experiencing any issues, including anti-social behaviour, you should inform the local council as soon as possible.  

    As the registered tenant, you are responsible for ensuring your guests do not cause distress or harm to neighbours. 

  • What do I need to do to make sure my home is suitable for my guest?

    All accommodation will be different and while there is no set expectation, your accommodation needs to be free from serious health and safety hazards. You should make sure your home is safe for your guests and that it is in a suitable condition. 

    You should also consider how many people you can accommodate so they have sufficient space. Two people should not be in one room unless they are: adult cohabiting partners; a parent and child; two siblings of the same gender if aged over 10; two siblings regardless of gender if aged under 10. Individuals who didn’t previously know each other should not be given the same room.

    Further to this it’s required that your home: 

    • be kept clean and in a reasonable state; 
    • has adequate kitchen and bathroom space; 
    • has access to drinking water; 
    • has a working smoke detector on each floor of the property and other fire safety precautions suitable for the building e.g. fire doors or escape routes as appropriate; 
    • has a working carbon monoxide detector; 
    • has sufficient heating to keep the property at a comfortable temperature; 
    • has safe gas appliances, fittings and flues and have undertaken a Gas Safety check within the last year; 
    • has safe and working electrics which have been tested in the last five years; 
    • be almost entirely free of damp or mould; 
    • has doors and windows at entry level that lock properly; 
    • be easy and safe to move around in, without excessively steep staircases that may cause harm. 

    If your home does not meet any of these conditions, please contact us. We review the condition of your home at your annual Home Plan visit, where we advise of any outstanding works required as a result. 

    You should also inform your contents insurance provider to make sure that your policy will still cover your items.