Mutual Exchange is often the quickest way of moving home. This scheme is ideal if you are looking to move into a new area or you are a low priority on the housing register.
As a Thrive Homes tenant, you can get free access to the UK's largest mutual exchange website at www.homeswapper.co.uk. All you'll need to do is fill out an application form, making sure you add "Thrive Homes" into the landlord box. Once we have verified you as our tenant you will be able to search free of charge.
You can search for mutual exchange opportunities using social media, word of mouth and local advertisement boards.
Who can I exchange with?
If you have an assured or fixed term tenancy, you can exchange your home with another tenant. The person you swap with must also have a secure or fixed term tenancy either with Thrive or another social landlord.
We will be happy when you find a suitable match, to proceed if:
- the new property is a suitable size for you (note: we also allow exchanges into Thrive properties that are one size bigger than your housing need)
- your property has no adaptations specifically suited for you and the new tenant has a need for them
- there is no legal action being taken against you.
Once I’ve found someone to exchange with:
You will need to complete a Mutual Exchange Form - download a copy here.
We will make a decision on all mutual exchange requests within 6 weeks. However we will defer the exchange if:
- you have rent arrears on your account
- you have former tenant arrears, from a previous tenancy
- our inspection shows outstanding repairs or unauthorised tenant improvements
- there are any outstanding tenancy issues, such as an interest in another property (through tenancy or ownership) to joint tenancy status.
Once these have been rectified, the exchange may go ahead. If we agree to your exchange and you confirm you still wish to proceed, we will conduct an electrical test before that exchange takes place. We will undertake a gas safety check once you have moved in to your new home.
It is important to remember that you are responsible for and accept the exchanged property as you see it. Your tenancy and rent may also alter after mutual exchange, you can find out more about possible changes by clicking here. Please check before you agree to a swap.
If you have any other questions, get in touch by emailing email@example.com. We would be happy to help you through the process of mutual exchange.