The myThrive Hub is currently down

You can still pay online on our website.

To raise a repair, please speak to our team using live chat or email

Thank you for your patience whilst we fix the issue!

Aids & Adaptations

If you have a disability that stops you being able to make use of your home or live independently, Thrive Homes may be able to adapt your home to make it easier for you to manage. If this is not easily or reasonably possible, we can usually offer you other solutions that you might want to consider.

What types of adaptations do you need?

If you need help getting around inside or outside of your home we can probably help.

Minor Adaptations

Minor works include things like:

  • grab rails – to help you move around safely in the home
  • lever taps – to help you turn taps on and off in the kitchen and bathroom
  • bannister rails – to help you go up and down stairs safely
  • additional lighting – to help you if your sight is affected.

Get in touch with us by emailing

Standard Adaptations

These include things like:

  • level access shower – installed instead of a bath to help
  • stair lift – to help you go up and down the stairs
  • ramps – to help you get into and out of your home safely
  • widening door openings – to help you if you need to use a wheelchair in your home.

For tenants not living in ex TRDC stock, standard adaptations may be obtained via the Disabled Facilities Grant which is obtained from the relevant local authority, you’ll need to contact your occupational health therapist to arrange an assessment.

For tenants in ex TRDC stock, standard adaptations will be undertaken up to a threshold of £10,000, after this sum applicants will have to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, you’ll need to contact your occupational health therapist to arrange an assessment.

What happens next?

The occupational therapist will visit to discuss your needs with you and how we can help you to stay living independently. If the best way to help you is to make changes or adapt your home, the occupational therapist will write to Thrive Homes. Thrive Homes will consider all requests (as long as they are included in our Adaptations Policy) but it may be that there is a simpler or more cost effective solution. If this is the case, we will discuss this with you.

Once the work has been agreed with you and the occupational therapist, any works agreed to be carried out by Thrive Homes will be arranged by one of our contractors and any works agreed to be carried out via the local authority will be arranged by them and signed off by Thrive Homes and the local authority. You will be given all the details and the work will be arranged with your agreement at a time that is convenient.

  • Who pays for the adaptations?

    Applicants who seek funding via a DFG will be means tested by the appropriate local authority.  

    Thrive Homes will also pay to maintain the adaptations carried out by them or carry out necessary repairs. However, if you apply to buy your property all maintenance and repairs will then become your responsibility and you will have to pay for them.

  • What are the other ways that Thrive Homes can help?

    Sometimes it might not be possible to carry out adaptations in your home. If this is the case we may still be able to help. For example, you might wish to consider transferring to a property more suitable for adaptations, or a property which already has the adaptations installed.  

    We can help you to organise the move and if you were to move to a smaller property you might qualify for the Incentive to Move payment if you are in receipt of pension credit.  

  • How long will it all take?

    Our aim is to complete: 

    • minor adaptations at a mutually convenient time 
    • standard adaptations within 14 weeks. 

    However, there is always a big demand for these types of works and unfortunately this means that sometimes the money is not always available straight away. In this case you would be placed on a waiting list and we would tell you approximately how long you will have to wait for the works to be carried out. 

  • Can I move house after adaptations have been carried out?

    Only in exceptional circumstances. You will not be considered as a priority for a housing transfer if we have carried out standard adaptations for you. This would mean that you would not be considered for at least 5 years.